What is the general criteria for tenants who rent a RPM&S rental home?
- Positive picture ID will be requested at the time you submit your application for processing.
- Each person over the age of 18 years who intends to reside in the subject Dwelling Unit must submit a separate Rental Application.
- Each applicant must qualify solely and individually.
- Application must be completely filled out and signed/electronically submitted.
- Application Fees must be paid prior to processing the rental application
- $50/per adult (all over 18 MUST apply).
- The application fee is NON REFUNDABLE.
- This covers the cost of processing your application and obtaining your credit report Applicant acknowledges and accepts that Reliable Property Management & Sales represents the owner of the property for which applicant is applying.
- Management makes every effort to process applications within 24 to 48 hours of submission; however processing can take several days due to inability to contact previous/present landlords, employers and other references.
- Management will make a reasonable attempt to contact previous and present landlord(s) submitted by Applicant; however, the ultimate responsibility for supplying this information to Management lies with the Applicant. Management reserves the right to decline tenancy on the basis of an inability to contact the references provided.
- Feel free to check on the status of your application if you have not received a response within 48 hours of submission.
- We cannot guarantee any unit you have seen to be available to you by the time your application is processed. Dwelling units are rented to the first approved applicant with the full security deposit paid. A security deposit will not be accepted until the rental application is approved.
Although each property is different, here are some general guidelines to consider.
- Studio – 1 Occupant
- 1 Bedroom Unit – 2 Occupants
- 2 Bedroom Unit – 4 Occupants
- 3 Bedroom Unit – 6 Occupants
- 4 Bedroom Unit – 8 Occupants
If you have questions, one of our Licensed Leasing Agents will be happy to guide you on what is/is not acceptable by law.
Can I get a refund on the $50 application fee if I am denied or decide not to sign a lease?
No, unfortunately, once an application is processed we cannot refund the application fee.
If I’m going to live with a friend who rents from you, do I still have to complete an application and pay the $50 application fee?
Yes! Each person over the age of 18 years of age who intends to live at the property being leased will need to submit a rental application. Each applicant will also need to produce a current picture ID and social security card in order to complete the application process.
Our background check consists of a credit check, public record search, criminal background check, employment verification, and rental history.
- As long as the monthly rent on the home you want is no more than 1/3 of your total gross income.
- If you are self-employed, you will need to provide bank statements and potentially tax returns as employment verification and a letter from your employer.
- If you are not self-employed you may need to provide copies of your last 2 pay stubs or a copy of your tax returns.
- If you need a co-signer, their monthly rent should not be more than 1/3 their monthly income and will need to be a Florida resident. The co-signer will have to go through the application process, meet our requirements and pay an application fee.
You will need to provide a rental reference which confirms a minimum of 2 year or more of valid, verifiable residence history from a third-party landlord. If you have rental history shorter than 24 months a double deposit or Co-Signer may be required. Other factors that we consider before making the final decision are credit history, employment history and income requirements. However, if you have a history of breaking leases, or have unpaid rental judgments, you will probably NOT be approved for a lease at RPM&S.
Below are some additional details to help you understand how we may view your rental history:
- Three (3) or more 3-Day Notices within a 12 month period will result in denial.
- Two (2) or more NSF checks within a 12 months period may result in denial.
- Rental history reflecting any unpaid past due rent will result in denial.
- Rental history reflecting any property damage or disturbance will result in denial.
- Any felony in the past ten years will result in a denial.
- Any sexual offense on your record ever will result in a denial.
Can you work with me if I have bad credit?
It’s not uncommon that applicants have some dings on their credit report so we have to look at your overall situation. When we process your application, we check your credit but we focus more on your income verification and rental history than a perfect credit score. Never assume your past will keep you out of a great home until you have talked about your situation with an Agent RPM&S.
Below are some additional details to help you understand how we may view your credit history:
- Outstanding bad debts being reported on credit report of more than $100 but less than $1000 may be accepted with proper explanation and proof.
- Excessive collections may result in denial.
- Outstanding debt to a property management company or previous or current landlord may result in denial.
- Any applicant with a bankruptcy not showing as discharged will be denied until shown otherwise.
- After a bankruptcy has been discharged, applicant may be required to show six (6) months of positive established credit.
- Any Bankruptcies or foreclosures reported on the credit within the last 24 months will require a 2 1/2 months security deposit.
Do I have to have a minimum credit score?
Most credit scores that we accept fall within the range of 530-800. On the other hand, we are more interested in the things that created the score than the score itself. If you have a great rental history and solid income, we can work with almost anything else. Again, depending on the completed application Extra deposit or Co-Signer may be required.
If I need a co-signer, how do you qualify them?
A Cosigner will need to meet ALL of the following criteria. Also, we do not accept multiple co-signers in an effort to meet the required criteria below.
- 12 months of valid, verifiable rental or mortgage history with no late payments
- At least 4 accounts in good standing with less than $500 in derogatory accounts.
- 12 months of verifiable income with current employer, continuous employment, or guaranteed source of income
- Verifiable income must equal no less than 3 times the rental amount.
- The co-signer must reside in the state of Florida.
A single or combined occurrence of the following:
- Any felony offense or conviction which has taken place within the last ten (10) years
- Any sexual offense or conviction which has taken place ever in your life.
- Any collection filed by a property management company or landlord
- Unlawful detainee action/eviction within the past two (2) years
- Balance owing to a current or past landlord
- Extreme negative and adverse rental history, e.g. documented complaints and/or damages, multiple late payments or notices to pay or vacate, or statement by landlord of “WOULD NOT RE-RENT”
- Failure to cooperate with housing assistance program requirements while receiving benefits
- Unverifiable social security number or proof of legal residency in United States, or falsification of either
- Falsification of rental application (including non-disclosure of criminal records)
- Collection filings caused by breaking a lease agreement
Can I rent house from RPM&S if I participate in Section 8?
In short, yes! If you see a house you like, be sure to check the listing details. Each rental home we advertise will state if Section 8 is accepted. If you do see that the house you like accepts section 8 you will be required to meet the same criteria as stated above for tenancy qualifications with the exception that income requirements apply only to your portion of the rent. Remember, it is always your responsibility to contact your Worker and verify your own specific Section 8 requirements for residency. In some cases, we may require your Worker to verify the income/rental voucher amount for the particular property you are interested in.
How fast will you process my application?
We have an online application process to keep things fast and simple. Once you locate the property you want, go to www.rpmshomes.com and complete the application. We are notified as soon as you finish the application and typically get you a preliminary decision within 24-48 hours. In some cases, the final application approval may be contingent on hearing back from previous/present landlords, employers and other references.
We will always attempt to contact previous and present landlord(s); however, it’s always a good idea to give your references a heads-up that they will be receiving a call from us. Worst case, if we don’t get a response from your references, it may result in our office declining your application on the basis of inability to contact the references provided
During busy times of the year there may be a slight delay in giving you a preliminary decision. If you don’t hear from us within 24 hours, we are probably still processing your application or waiting on call backs from references. You are always welcome to check on the status of your application if you have not received a response from us within 24-48 hours of submission.
What forms of payment do you accept?
- For application fees: is cashier’s checks, money orders and cash.
- For security deposits: Our preferred method of payment is cashier’s check, money order.
- For rent: You can complete and submit the Tenant ACH form: Our preferred method of payment. We also accept cashier’s checks, money orders, and personal checks.
Unfortunately, security deposits that are paid at the time of pre-lease signing are non-refundable if you decide not to move forward with the lease signing.
How soon can I move in to my RPM&S rental home?
As soon as you get the lease signed and make your initial payment, you are free to move into your new home. We can literally have you in your new home the day your application is approved.
How long is my lease term?
A regular Lease Agreement is typically for one year. The minimum lease term the law allows with out charging taxes to the tenant is 6 months and a day.
Can I be charged for maintenance at the property?
Yes, if resident damage or neglect causes the maintenance problem, you will be charged for it.
You will need to refer to your lease agreement and check with our office. As always, please remember that you can be fined for lease violations and possibly risk eviction. If pets are allowed and you get a pet after you move-in, it is your responsibility to notify our office of this change. We will then make arrangement with you to secure the required non-refundable pet fee as follows:
- The minimum of $25/month per pet added to the rent. The owner of each property dictates the pet fee amount, it may be higher than $25.00/ month however the typical fee is usually $25 per month.
- OUR OWNERS DO NOT PERMIT THE FOLLOWING PETS: GERMAN SHEPHERDS, DOBERMANS, PIT BULLS, CHOWS, OR ROTWEILLERS, or any part thereof. A PHOTO OF PET/S IS REQUIRED